TICKET Herald Tribune Cover
The Sarasota Herald published its first edition on October 4, 1925. Its headquarters was at the northeast corner of Oak Street and South Orange Avenue, now home to The Exchange (originally known as the Women's Exchange).
The Sarasota Herald announced in its first publication the paper's commitment to the Sarasota community. First they would provide comprehensive international and national news coverage as well as journalists for local news. Second, they made a commitment to the economic, social and educational development of Sarasota. Lastly, they promised wholesome entertainment and helpful instruction.
The Sarasota Herald began at a time when Sarasota was experiencing the Florida Land Boom. Newcomers quickly swelled the area's population. They created a demand for and hoped to profit from the growing real estate development. Print advertisement for land and homes helped support a growth in Sarasota County's news publications.
Others papers came and went and by 1930 the Sarasota Herald was the only newspaper left in Sarasota. Perhaps unexpected in a time of economic depression, a competitor incorporated in 1934. The Sarasota Daily Tribune was published by Benton W. Powell, already known in Sarasota for his leadership in the Palmer National Bank and civic affairs. A member of the United Press, the Tribune published weekday afternoons and Sunday mornings. Accompanying the paper's name on the front page was the slogan, "Covering the County Like the Sunshine." In June 1938, the Herald purchased the Tribune, thereby creating the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
The Mediterranean Revival-style home of the Sarasota Herald became too small and outdated for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune in the 1950s. As Sarasota experienced another period of economic and population growth, the paper moved in 1969 into a new building on the corner of Wood Street and U.S. 41. In 2006 the Herald Tribune outgrew the Wood Street location and the building was torn down in 2010 to make room for a new Publix Supermarket. The Herald Tribune constructed a new state-of-the-art facility located on Main Street in downtown Sarasota.The new headquarters building was designed by Arquitiecotonica and won the American Institute of Architect's Award of Excellence. In early 2017, the Herald-Tribune moved to new offices next door to its old headquarters on the fourth, fifth and ninth floors of 1777 Main Street.
Alexa is originally from Mukilteo, Washington. This is her first mural at age 10! She is now a resident of Sarasota and looking forward to attending Pineview. Alexa loves anything with sunset colors. She enjoys painting palm trees and sunsets as well as reading the Herald Tribune Ticket every week. This mural was an easy pick as it truly connected with her.
Herald Tribune Ticket / palm tree sunset